Audrey Hepburn is best known for being a legendary actress and a style icon, but perhaps one of her favorite roles ever was being Mom. Though we love the movie star’s fashion sense as much as anyone else, we think it’s worth taking a look back at some of her sweetest “mom moments” she shared with the world throughout her life.
As you may know, Audrey Hepburn had two children — Sean Hepburn Ferrer, now 58 years old, and Luca Dotti, now 49. Although the devoted mom sadly suffered a few miscarriages throughout her life, the successful births of her two sons seemed to bring her more joy than she ever thought possible. According to Vanity Fair, she wrote a letter to a close friend shortly after Sean’s birth in 1960 that read: “Sean is truly a dream and I find it hard to believe he is really ours to keep.” Is it just us, or do we have goosebumps already?
- Audrey Hepburn SonAudrey Hepburn Meeting Her FirstbornAudrey Hepburn and her first husband, Mel Ferrer, welcomed their first child, Sean Hepburn Ferrer, on July 17, 1960 in Switzerland. Can’t you see the look of joy in the new mom’s eyes while holding her little darling?
- Audrey Hepburn’s SonAudrey Hepburn Taking Sean HomeTalk about “precious cargo”! Seven weeks after Sean’s birth, Audrey and Mel returned with him to LA from Switzerland. The infant’s carrier looks super cozy — a perfect choice after a long flight.
- Audrey Hepburn SonsAudrey Hepburn Holding Sean Before a FlightWhen Mommy’s a big star, there’s bound to be lots of travel involved! Audrey is pictured here with seven-month-old Sean before the pair leave for Rome on a jetliner.
- Audrey Hepburn’s ChildrenAudrey Hepburn Cuddling With SeanA decade after Audrey Hepburn’s death in 1993, Sean Ferrer spoke candidly to The Telegraph about hearing his mother’s voice wherever he went: “For me, it’s not the voice of an actress. What I hear is the woman who nursed me through ear infections or told me stories when I was young.”
- Audrey Hepburn KidsAudrey Hepburn With Her Youngest ChildAudrey Hepburn and her second husband, Andrea Dotti, welcomed her second and youngest child, Luca Dotti, on February 8, 1970. The couple is pictured here with their son — at seven years old — as they step outside into the cold together. Isn’t it sweet how Audrey is keeping her son close to her amidst all the camera flashes from the paparazzi?
- Audrey Hepburn Children OlderAudrey Hepburn Posing With Sean As He Grows UpEven though Audrey Hepburn’s eldest son had recently entered his 20s in this photo — taken at an American Film Institute tribute to Fred Astaire in 1981 — Sean is still happy to pose close to his beloved mother. What an upstanding young man!
- Audrey Hepburn KidAudrey Hepburn Traveling With LucaAudrey Hepburn, super-mom that she is, keeps her son Luca — pictured here as a young teen — close as ever as they make their way through an airport together in 1984. More than a decade after Audrey Hepburn’s passing, Luca opened up to People about his mother staying true to herself as “a simple country girl” and an adoring parent rather than an icon.Luca even revealed to the publication that he didn’t actually know his mom was a movie star until he saw the film Love in the Afternoon as a child: “Suddenly, there was my mother kissing Gary Cooper. I remember perfectly because I was so embarrassed and I ran to my father and said, ‘Dad, this is serious. You should be upset. Mommy is kissing another man.’ So that explains how much I was aware that my mother could possibly be a movie star. I had no idea.”