Game of Thrones fans may always remember the date October 29, 2019. It was the day they lost one prequel but gained House of the Dragon. Earlier today, news broke that HBO had canceled its prequel which had cast the likes of Naomi Watts and Naomi Ackie. Now we may know why. This afternoon, WarnerMedia had a two hour presentation on its streaming service HBO Max that included a big announcement from HBO.
Casey Bloys, president of programming for HBO, presented a portion early in the panel about HBO’s upcoming output. He returned at the end of the presentation for one last announcement, and it’s one that will make Game of Thrones fans happy. Bloys didn’t address the elephant in the room, but his announcement sheds some light on HBO’s earlier decision.
‘House of the Dragon’ is the next chapter in ‘Game of Thrones’
The Game of Thrones series HBO canceled had filmed a pilot episode in Ireland. House of the Dragon won’t have to go through that process. HBO decided they’re just going to make the series.
“Ever since the finale of Game of Thrones last spring, people keep asking about a spinoff or a prequel,” Bloys said. “Well, it’s my pleasure to announced today that we are ordering House of the Dragon straight to series for HBO.”
What is ‘House of the Dragon’ about?
If you’ve read Game of Thrones creator George R.R. Martin’s book Fire & Blood, you know the story of House of the Dragon.
“Based on George R. R. Martin’s book Fire & Blood, this new show takes place 300 years before Game of Thrones,” Bloys said. “It tells the story of House Targaryen in the earlier days of Westeros.”
The canceled pilot, written by Jane Goldman, was said to take place in the Age of Heroes, setting it millennia prior to the era of Daenrys, Cercei, Jon Snow, the Lannisters and the Starks. 300 years at least brings it closer to the show fans loved, and now we know it will tell the story of Daenerys’s house.
These ‘Game of Thrones’ creators are still involved in ‘House of the Dragon’
Game of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss have moved on from the franchise. However, many of the talent involved with the flagship series remain involved in House of the Dragon.
“I don’t want to give away too much but what I will tell you is that House of the Dragon is co-created and executive produced by George and Ryan Condal and also executive produced and directed by Miguel Sapochnik,” Bloys said.
Condal is new to the world of Game of Thrones. He previously created the USA sci-fi series Colony, which ran for three seasons. Sapochnik has been part of the Game of Thrones family since season five when he began directing.
“Miguel, of course, is one of the most masterful Game of Thrones directors,” Bloys said. “He won an Emmy for the unforgettable episode ‘Battle of the Bastards.’ We couldn’t be happier to have found the next great chapter in George’s saga.”
Stay tuned to find out who Martin, Condal and Sapochnik cast as the Targaryen ancestors.